Friday, August 19, 2011

Make Your Own: Laundry Soap

I've recently gotten into this money saving kick. I like the fact that a little effort can save some serious cash over time. Whether it's cashing in my coupons, price matching, recycling, or even making something of my own that we use. If it saves money, I'm all about it. With gas prices being ridiculously high and other economic factors, it's forced a lot of us to re-evaluate our spending and adjust our budgets to the economy because the economy sure as heck doesn't adjust to us! I found this idea on Pinterest . And if you haven't discovered Pinterest.com yet, it's a must. I can't even describe how awesome this website is. I feel the need to share this idea because if it is as good as everyone says it is, then I have no idea why I haven't discovered this way before now. So today, I'm going to make my own laundry soap. This mixture of ingredients is supposed to last several months! And you only have to use 1 Tablespoon per wash load! If those last 2 sentences are not music to your ears then stop reading and wait until the next post because I just heard Slash rockin a bad A guitar riff in the background!

Ok, here are the ingredients you will need and how much I paid for them at Wal-Mart:

1- 4lb box of Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda                      $2.16
1- 3lb 7oz box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda           $3.24
1- 1.87lb tub of OxiClean (generic store brand will work fine)   $1.96
1- 4lb bag of any laundry soap (generic is the way to go)           $3.42
3- Fels-Naptha Bars                                                                 $0.97 each

That's $13.69 to make what I am hoping to be several months worth of laundry soap! SWEET!!!


You will also need a 5 gallon bucket. I reused an empty laundry soap bucket that I had gotten from Sam's. You will also need a cheese grater.

Step 1: Pour all of your powder ingredients into the bucket.

Step 2: Taking your cheese grater, you will grate the Fel-Naptha bars into the bucket. I just grated the bars right in the bucket so I didn't have to dirty another bowl.

Step 3: Mix up all your ingredients!

And, Viola!!!!!!

You only need to use 1 tablespoon per wash load because all the ingredients that you use make it SUPER potent! As an added bonus, while you are making your home-made laundry soap, your house smells AMAZING!

Hope you like this little tip! I know I will!

Until Next Time!
-Kaci
The Little Pioneer Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment