Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Making Your Own: Dishwasher Detergent and Dryer Sheet

OK, if you haven't noticed from this post and the last, I'm kind of obsessed with making my own household products. Both of these ideas I found on other blogs and I would like to share. Until I started cruising around in Blog World, I had absolutely no idea all the things I have found were even available! Call me naive and maybe a little spoiled to think that laundry detergent, household cleaners other items had to be bought at the store for them to be effective. Boy was I wrong. I also wasted alot of money buying products that I could easily make myself and spend pennies instead of dollars. This is definitely a lifestyle change for me. I've realized not only is making my own products earth friendly because it cuts down on harsh chemicals and plastic waste but it actually works BETTER than store bought products! DOUBLE SWEET!

Here are 2 little recipes for you to enjoy!

Home Made Dishwasher Detergent
Shopping List:
  • Borax (Found with the powder laundry detergents) 
  • Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (Found in laundry detergent section) 
  • Lemi Shine (Found in the dishwasher detergent section) 
  • Kosher Salt (Found with the baking ingredients) 
  • White Vinegar (Found on the condiment aisle) 
  • Canister of your choice (Found in the Tupperware section)
  • Tablespoon or Scoop
*Remember, you will make a couple batches out of items you bought. You will however have to use the whole can of Limi Shine each batch  you make.

Directions:

Step 1: Pour 2 cups of Borax into your canister.

Step 2: Pour 2 cups of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda into your canister.

Step 3: Pour 2 cups of Lemi Shine into your canister.

Step 4: Pour 1 cup of Kosher Salt into your canister.

Step 5: Mix together ingredients.

Usage: You only need to put 1 tablespoon into your wash cycle of the dishwasher. You can put one capful of the white vinegar into the pre wash for added cleaning power.

And done! How easy was that??

The next little tip is so easy it's ridiculous!

Homemade Dryer Sheets
Shopping List:
  • Your favorite type and scent of liquid fabric softener
  • An old hand towel or rag
Directions:

Step 1: Pour a couple of ounces of liquid fabric softener into a bowl.

Step 2: Soak your hand towel or rag into the bowl.

Step 3: Lightly wring out the hand towel or rag.

Step 4: Lay hand towel or rag onto a the counter or in a dry bowl and let dry.

Usage: Toss your hand towel or rag into your dryer with your clothes. Your rag can usually get up to 40 usages.


There you have it folks! What I love the most about these 2 things is that they are SUPER easy to make, I'm cutting down on enviromental waste, and the money I save is totally awesome! You can't get much better than that.

I guess y'all have noticed that the last couple of post have been DIY projects. I don't intend for this blog to be solely a DIY blog but these past couple things I just couldn't resist. Do y'all have any DIY tips that you use around the house or use often? Let me know and I will share my faves on the blog! Comments on this blog or welcome or you can email me at kacijohnson@live.com.

Until Next Time!
-Kaci
"The Little Pioneer Girl"

No comments:

Post a Comment