Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Southern Arkansas University Tragedy

It absolutely breaks my heart that I have to write this blog. If you know me personally or have read any of my blog, it's clear that animals are a great love of mine, especially horses.

I've spent most of my life around them, riding them, watching them compete, and of course loving on them. I just love a good horse nuzzling. Horses are such amazing creatures. Strong willed and intelligent but gentle and agile at the same time. Horses are loyal and have extensive personalities.

"He Man" was my Welsh pony when I was growing up and we went to every play day that would let us enter up. "He Man" took care of me and let me do whatever I wanted to him as a kid: crawl on him, lope, run as fast as we could, trail ride, although loading in a trailer wasn't exactly his favorite thing in the world. I used to have to load in the trailer myself and then he would follow me. "Billy Idol"  & "Buskin" were my Dad's horses for most of his rodeo career. A lot of bills were paid because of them two. Team roping was my Dad's career. 

I continue to be surrounded by horses. Clint trains team roping horses. Clay and Bobbie, my brother and sister in law, train cutting horses. D-Dad, my father-in-law still day works the ranches of west Texas. And my Dad still team ropes.

I was always taught that you take care of your animals first. Your horses eat before you do. You respect your horses because they do a job for you and they respect you back. You depend on your horses and they depend on you to care for them properly.  

When first hearing about the 5 horses stolen from the Southern Arkansas University's rodeo team members, my heart panged because I understand the desperation of having a beloved animal taken from you. We are still in search for our missing part of the family, Zipper. That is a feeling of such desperation you cannot explain. Not knowing their whereabouts makes you feel helpless and keeps you wondering.

For those of you that haven't heard of the tragic events that took place, I encourage you to check out Banner News to get all of the information and fill in the gaps that I leave out. Here is the short version.

On November 3, 2011 in Magnolia, Arkansas at the Southern Arkansas University stables, 5 horses including a trailer full of equipment was stolen in the middle of the night. Credit Card, Grey, Badger, Black and Lena were the 5 quarter horses stolen from the stables.


Horses stolen from Southern Arkansas UniversityHorses stolen from Southern Arkansas University
Horses stolen from Southern Arkansas University
Horses stolen from Southern Arkansas University
Horses stolen from Southern Arkansas University

On November, 16, 2011 four of the five horses were recovered in a wooded area near Tom, Oklahoma tied to trees without food or water and were found emaciated. The one horse not with the group was Credit Card.

 Click here to watch the video of SAU Rodeo Coach, Rusty Hayes' amazing story on how they found 4 of the missing horses.

November 25, 2011, just more than 3 weeks after all the horses went missing, the remains of Credit Card were recovered. I will not go into details of the condition of Credit Card's remains but you have google, don't you? It is devastating and unbelievable what a person could do to a horse. It is mind boggling and stomach wrenching.

There have been several arrest in this case so far and investigation is still ongoing.

Since of hearing this news, I have not been able to get this off of my mind. My heart aches for the Smith family that has lost Credit Card and I am proud for the 4 owners that have found their horses.

I really don't even know what to say from here. This is such a tragedy for the entire horse industry and a tragedy of man-kind. I will never understand a person that could do this to any innocent animal.

The Smith family have asked instead of setting up a fund for Shaun Smith to be able to purchase another horse, that a scholarship fund be set up so others will have the chance to be a part of the Southern Arkansas University Rodeo Team.

My family has been incredibly blessed to have the help of all our friend's for so long and especially when Clint had to take time off of work to have shoulder surgery this past July, I feel that I am called to do something for any part of good to come out of this. I will be making these cross and horseshoe pendant necklaces and I will be selling them with 100% of the proceeds being donated to the scholarship fund to SAU in Credit Card's honor. They will be $20 and includes shipping to you.



I hope that I'm flooded with orders and we can all have a hand in raising money. You can email me at kacijohnson@live.com to order. I can accept Pay Pal or a check mailed to me. At the end of each month, I will donate the money to the scholarship fund and include your name that you were a part of this fund raising.

Let's band together and show the world that the horse industry, animal lovers, and good human beings are against animal abuse and the treatment that Credit Card recevied will not be tolerated.

Also let's all pray that justice is brought to the people responsible of this heinous crime.

Peace & Love,
Kaci

With any questions contact me by email, Facebook or by phone.

Email: kacijohnson@live.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kaciwrightjohnson

Phone: 682-936-9712  call or text

No comments:

Post a Comment