Friday, May 25, 2012

"Just Say No To Train Tracks"

I have been following Mark Eric Photography for a couple of months now.

Ever since I got my camera, I have been stalking admiring all kinds of photographers in hopes to have their knowledge and expertise seep through my brain by osmosis.

I am not really sure how I stumbled upon Mark Eric by I am so glad I did.

He is a wedding photographer from Alexandria, Louisiana. I was instantly captivated by his photography style. His beautiful subjects in beautiful places with an insane amount of color jumping out at you, and of course his extraordinary "camera eye" makes some of the most exquisite engagement and wedding photographs that I have ever seen.

He had me at Louisiana. Since my roots run deep into the cajun country, I feel a connection to those in that demographic. Those are my people!

What made me like him even more is that he posted on his blog his journey to where he is at now. He started by doing photography as a hobby with a full time job so he could purchase his camera equipment a little at a time and not be in debt. (I feel him on that one.) He would search and ask questions from expereienced photographers to just be have doors slammed in his face. Little by little he built his photography business to being booked out for more than a year at a time. Inspiring to say the very least.

He also posted on his blog that he hosts workshops for budding photographers. I can't wait for the info for the beginner photography workshops. You can bet your buns I will be there. I'll scratch shit with the chickens to make it happen. You know, I really have never understood that saying but Granny used to tell me that. I guess it means, "Come hell or high water." Something to ponder.... anyways, moving on...

So, Mark posted a status update on his Facebook that got me thinking...

"Just say no to train tracks"

Hmmmm... You are SO right Mark Eric!

What is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish by having your picture taken on train tracks?

Are you trying to look like you're a lost rambler trying to bum a ride from the next train that comes by? That wouldn't be cool. Or maybe it would be kind of cool, but realistic? No.

Are you contemplating throwing yourself in front of that train? Ouch!

Is it a metaphor of your empty life on an endless track with no destination in sight? That's really sad.

I always see pictures of people with their guitars strapped to their backs headed down alongside the train tracks. Do you REALLY know how to play that guitar? I bet not. And if you do, why are you following train tracks? Why aren't you in a bar, coffee shop, or maybe a record execs office playing your guitar?

Oh and those people that are sitting on the train tracks in a cute little pose showing off their legs. Really? Why are you sitting in the middle of the train tracks? Are you trying to stop a train that maybe your estranged lover is on and you think maybe showing off  your legs will make the train come to a screeching halt and your lover will be so flattered by your gesture and come falling back into your arms? I don't think so.  

I prefer to photograph life candid. I think capturing subjects in their natural habitat can be magical when you capture it correctly. It's true and honest. How can you get any better than that? Be true to yourself and your subjects. Plain and simple. Don't try to make it out to be something it isn't or someone you're not.

Am analyzing this little simple statement too much? Probably so. Oh well. Sue me. You won't get much, I promise.

So with that being said, I totally agree with Mark Eric... "Just Say No To Train Tracks."

End of story. You will thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment