Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Wow, You Have An Awesome Camera"

"Wow, you have an awesome camera!" is a phrase that I've heard a few times recently when people see my pictures.

On one hand, I 'm like, "Oh thank you so much! I love my camera!"

And on the other hand I say to myself, "Is it my camera or is it me that is so awesome?" Hahaha! I'm kidding.

I have always always always had a passion for photography but just never had the means to invest in a quality camera until a couple of months ago.

Seeing a beautifully composed picture strikes a flame inside me and I actually fall in love with an inanimate object. Seriously.

I have a sincere appreciation for art and creativiness.

Don't get me wrong, I have a LONG way to go in my photography venture and in no way, shape or form consider myself a "photographer" or really consider myself qualified enough to give out advice on the matter. But since I have been asked this question several times already, I figured that I would share my experience with others interested in getting into photography.

First of all, if you don't know what an ISO, shutter speed, or white balance is then quit reading because you aren't educated enough to continue reading this.......JUST KIDDING!! I'm still working on getting to know all of that stuff myself. It will come. Be patient.

Before I bought my camera I scoured the internet and the library (The library is a WONDERFUL and under appreciated source of information. Some people consider it outdated but where can you read books for free?? No where.) for advice on which camera to buy, which lenses I should invest in (because those puppies are NOT cheap, and I really didn't want to make a $500 mistake with buying the wrong lens), and techniques.

Quite frankly, there is not alot of info out there, or maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I'm not sure if it because people are not willing to share their knowledge on photography or not alot of people have dedicated the time to put it out there. Forget asking an established photgrapher to share their secrets too.

I found a wealth of knowledge on a blog called Photo Tips And Sips and I will forever be grateful for the author's contribution to my decision on my camera purchase.

Looking to buy a camera? Here's my obnoxious advice. 

This particular post is such a good source of information that I read and re-read this several times before I placed my order for my camera and lenses. I based everything I bought on this single article.

You should definitely read this if you are interested in investing in photography equipment.

I bought the Canon T1i camera body . I did not purchase the kit with the two lenses with it because I didn't want to pay the extra money for crappy lenses. I would recommend you do the same. I got Canon because I just felt that it fit my needs for now: beginner hobby photo taker. (Notice I didn't say "photographer".)

I bought the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens and I absolutely LOVE it. Yes it is pricey but it is an investment lens and you will love it too. It takes the most beautiful pictures. It is a prime lens that you can use for most of your photography needs.

I am just recently learning that the saying "you get what you pay for" is 100% correct. I have been so cheap for so long and it ends up costing me more money in the long run. So especially with photography equipment, don't skimp. Don't be cheap. I'm not saying break the bank but save and budget for the good stuff. Get by with what you have until you can purchase the good quality camera and lenses. You won't regret it.

I also have the Canon 55-250mm Telephot Zoom Lens. I used this one alot for the High Oaks Cattle Branding  and I use it alot at team ropings. I also love this lens. I like zooming. It makes me feel like I have a purpose behind a camera. Weird. I know.

Now the things that are on my wish list:

Epiphanie Camera Bag: Ginger I am in LOVE with this bag and it will be mine one day! Oh yes! It will be mine!

Canon Speedlite 430X ii Flash I am actually going to go buy this today! Wahoo! I worked enough ropings to buy it! See people, save, budget, buy. You can do it too!

Tokina 11-16mm Wide Angel Lens I am going to have to work a BUNCH of ropings to pay for this puppy, but I will make it happen.

I hope you find this information helpful should you be interested in diving into photography. It is an addicting, consuming but very rewarding hobby to have.

Much love!
-Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment