Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mama Mare & Sweet Little Red

Since we moved to the ranch, my afternoons have consisted of loving on as many animals as I could before I had come back to the real world and cook dinner, or do laundry, or load the dish washer, or give bath time...

A couple of the horses that I have become close to are Mama Mare & Sweet Little Red.

Clay & Colleen have bred Mama Mare to a stud and that's how Sweet Little Red came along.

Springtime is my absolute favorite time of the year. New life pops up all around us and we relish in it as long as we can because we know the harsh summer is upon us.

Just like any new mama, Mama Mare is very protective over Sweet Little Red. And Sweet Little Red doesn't know enough about the world yet to trust a weird two legged thing wanting to touch her.

I have gone out there every single day.

Some days I would hand feed Mama Mare alfalfa.

Some days I would just sit on the other side of the fence admiring the grace and beauty of these two creatures.

Some days I would get inside their pen so they would get used to my smell and let them know I was just there for lovin'.

A few days Mama Mare would sniff me over like I was being checked out to board a plane. She would sniff my hands, my shirt, and even my hair to make sure it was ok that I was in their pen.

A couple of days I spent a good hour brushing Mama Mare's mane and tail, scratching in between her ears, and giving her robust belly a good massage.

One day, Mama Mare stood face to face with me as she rested her giant cheek against my cheek while I just stroked her neck and took in her smell. It was magical. I felt like we bonded. All the while Sweet Little Red would poke her head from behind Mama Mare, still unsure of me but somewhat getting used to my presence.  

Sweet Little Red got lost in the trance of Mama Mare being pampered one day and let me stroke her fluffy, skinny neck until she realized it was my hand. Then she scampered away with her gawky legs to the other side of Mama Mare.

I will cherish those days forever.

Mama Mare and Sweet Little Red just left this morning for Oklahoma where they will live on a friend's calf horse ranch for a while until Mama Mare comes back to raise another baby.

I will be waiting. I can't wait to see that beautiful red roan mare back in the pen where I can do it all over again.

Here are just a few pictures Mama Mare and Sweet Little Red let me snap. They weren't really sure about the camera, though.

Sweet Little Red looking at me from under
Mama Mare's belly.

Mama Mare trying to show Sweet Little Red the ropes.

I'm going to pretend this isn't personal.

Mama Mare. Such a beautiful being.

No comments:

Post a Comment