Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Splurging On A Budget

Talking about money teeters on the line of acceptable things to discuss. People tend to keep their financial matters locked up tight with a lock and key.

What is giving a few tips on saving for the things that you want gonna hurt, though?

I am the world's worst about working my butt off extra cash just to have it burn a whole in my pocket and spend it on something that I have buyer's guilt for later.

I have just recently realized my financial habits when my best friend called to tell me that she was engaged and that she wants to get married on the beach at the end of September.

My first reaction: Oh my gosh!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!

My second though: I need to get my passport renewed.

My third thought: Whoa! I need to start saving money! Fast!

My fourth thought: Who in the WORLD gets engaged and then gets married three months later??? That is crazy talk!!!

I'm just kidding about that last part. When I finally gave Clint a chance, we decided to get married only three weeks after the night he danced me off of my feet and held my heart captive. (Insert your "Awww, how sweet" comments here.)

That was the end of September 2008 and we decided that we would get married in December during the National Finals in Vegas.

I gave my friends and family zero notice but they were there and that meant the world to me.

Not going to my friend's wedding is not an option. So what is an option? Penny pinching and bean counting, that's what.

You would think that I would have a financial plan in place on a normal basis for such situations because I am adult, you know..... hahahaha, you're funny.

There are several other things that I need to save for but I haven't yet. Like:

- We are going to Vegas in Decmeber to watch my Dad and Clint rope in the World Series finals and it's my cousin's graduation celebration!! Go Celeigh! She will be graduating from TCU's CRNA program! I'm so proud of her! So saving money for this trip is a must.

- I REALLY want an iPad. Do I need one? No. But I REALLY want one.

- Everytime I go on a photoshoot, I realize just how much I NEED an Epiphanie Camera Bag. This should go high on the list.

- I really WANT a Canon Wide Angle Lens. Expensive but I do eventually want one. This is on the line of want and need.

- I really WANT a new kitchen table. I already have one but its a small pub table that we got when we were newly weds and childless. Now if we want to have friends over, we set up TV trays in the living room and people sit in chairs and couches.

- I REALLY want a pair of Aztec Gypsy Soules. I really really do!

Budgets and planning are not my forte. It is time for me to force myself into making it my forte.

Here are a few tips to help you to get you the things you want/need:

1. Determine your budget.
- Write down your income, all of your bills and your budget for things such as gas, groceries, etc.

-Decide the percentage of what is left over that you are willing to put towards your wants/needs.

2. Write your wants/needs down.
 - I am a notebook queen. I start lists all the time for things such as these. When you actually write things down, you are more likely to stamp it on your brain and remember your list. You will also have a hardcopy to return to if you forget. But I don't need to ever return to it because I remember everything..... And pigs fly.... And Elvis is alive....

- Separate your list into wants and needs. When you have your list down on paper, you will begin to prioritize the things that are necessary and the things that you can mark off your list. This makes room for the things that are most improtant.

3. Prioritize your list.
- Determine the things on your list that are more important to you in order of importance and feesibility.

-Meaning you are more likely to put something higher on your list that you really need. 

-Think to yourself if what you write on your list is needed to help you make money. If it is, then it should take higher priority than something that is just a want.

Now I am going to go practice what I preach. Hope you find this post of some use to you.

XOXO
-Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment