Sunday, April 29, 2012

Weekend at the High Oaks Ranch: Day 3

Just in case you have missed any of the previous posts, here are links to their pages:

Weekend at the High Oaks Ranch: Day 1

Weekend at the High Oaks Ranch: Day 2

Weekend at the High Oaks Ranch: Around the Camp


Friday morning the alarm brought me out of a dead sleep suddenly at the same time as it did the day before.

I hate when I wake up from a dead sleep. I usually don't know where I am or what day it is, and I have been known to forget my own name. It didn't help that I had my fair share of silver bullets.

The night before, I put my dollars down on the dice table for several hours as I joined in on the fun. After observing and learning the rules, I was ready to join the big boys. Being the competitive person that I am I talked alot of trash, hooped and hollered when I won, and kept playing until I had twice as many ones as I had when I started.

I live for the competitive spirit that thrives inside of me. I love the adrenaline. I love the game. More than anything though, I hate to lose and I usually don't stop until I'm back on top.

A few more people gathered around the camp for breakfast this day and we did our usual routine. Eat. Saddle horses. Hit the trail.

This day was a little different because we were gathering and working cattle in a different pasture several miles from camp in a different set of pens. To get there, we loaded all of our horses in the trailer and drove to where they were.

As the grey clouds loomed over our heads teasing us with droplets of rain, we unloaded all the horses to set out on the trail.

When you are in the livestock or horse industry you never curse the rain. Ever. Even if you get rained out and can't do your work for the day, you welcome rain with open arms and let it do it's business. Rain is the essence of the profession.

The camera guys got a little nervous though.

Oh! I forgot to tell y'all the reason for this spring gathering. Well there are actually several reasons. One is so that the calves and cattle on the High Oaks Ranch can be worked with plenty of help from friends. Two is so we can gather as friends and have a good time. And three is so our gathering can be captured on film for the All Around Performance Horse show.

Scotty, Sean and John are the head honchos for the show and they do a wonderful job of showcasing the western way of life and keeping it alive with an honest stand point.

While we are on the subject, don't miss the annual All Around Ranch Rodeo which will be held in Glen Rose Expo on June 7,8,9, 2012. Clint and I will both be there helping. I can't wait.

Ranch rodeos are my favorite events to go watch. I just love it when Clint enters into the annual 4th of July Ranch Rodeo in Granbury. I'm a good cheerleader.

A ranch rodeo is similar to a regular rodeo but they have teams of cowboys that compete in events like branding, sorting, bronc riding, wild cow milking, and mugging. If you are wondering what in the heck I just said, it is all the more reason for you to come watch. These are all events that ranchers back in the day had to do to get work done. It's pretty interesting and fun stuff to watch. You can get more schedule and ticket info here.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.... (I love that book)

The grey clouds demanded the sky with the exception of sporadic rays of sunshine trying to break through which made for the most beautiful setting. The air was damp as it anticipated a down pour.

All the guys, and gal (Sandy, Bolivar's wife came along that day) headed out to gather the herd. Since there wasn't that far to go to push the cattle in the pens, I walked in hopes I could get some good pictures. That and I figured it was the least likely place for me to get in trouble again.

The cattle were ushered in the small pens and the work began. First you have to sort off the mamas from the babies. Neither party likes this not one bit. They both let out their moos of protest every step of the way and the entire time until they are reunited.

After the sorting, the heifers and the few bulls are ran through a chute where they are wormed with a topical solution that is poured on their backs and given their yearly injections to ward off common cattle sicknesses.

What is very interesting to me is that there are only a few carefully selected bulls that are put with a given herd. The reason for that being that they have been tested and are engineered to produce low birth weight calves.

This is very important because low birth weight calves are obviously easier to calve naturally and it lowers your risk of losing any livestock during calve birth or needing the assistance from a vet if needed. Both are expensive and are to be avoided if at all possible.

After all the heifers and bulls are tended to, it's the calves' turn.

A few cowboys on their horses are to rope the hind legs and drag the calves to the fire where they are branded, vaccinated, and castrated if they are boys. They have to be drug because they don't exactly go willingly.

All of these actions are necessary to maintain a healthy cattle ranch. I know, I know.... I would rather just love those calves into submission, too, but that's just not feesible.

Enjoy these pictures from another part of the lovely High Oaks Ranch! Oh but I'm not finished yet!!! Stay tunned for the Big Hat Roping!!!
Good thing Clint is in a good mood so early in the morning.
This is a very good sign.

This is JP, the High Oaks Ranch ranch manager.

Clint on ol' Gravy

John Mitchell on grey

Bolivar, Slick and Greg getting ready for the day.

What a beautiful landscape.

I love grey horses.
Noble steed comes to mind.

Leggins, boots, spurs and a ranch brand
are also some of my favorite things.

Sean is the official brander man.

Scotty sorting a few calves.

Just because we are working cattle, doesn't
mean the real world stops. Trey Trey has to
take a phone call. Hope he can hear over the
cattle mooing.

This is Kel. He is laughing, just in case you couldn't figure
that out on your own.

JP again making sure things are
going according to plan.

This is one mad mama expressing herself.

Mr. Muscles.

Baby calf isn't happy either.

Love this one.

"What you lookin' at?"

Clint and Bolivar about to drag a few calves.

Bolivar

Pull, Grey, Pull

No words. Just love.

Getting a little branding done.

Greg.

John Klam.

Clint and Grey are still at it.

Slick

Sandy is getting in on the action.

That looks like alot of work. I'm tired just looking at it.

I love this picture of Scotty. If I had one word it would be:
regal.

Bolivar

I heart this picture too.

Sean waiting on the guys to bring him
another calf.

Mr. Muscles #2

DJ doing a little work.

Kel again

Bolivar, are you tired yet?

The whole group ready for their camera time.

What a lovely bunch of cocnuts!

The work is done for the day, boys.... and girl.

JP and the Noble Steed
It was hard for me to just pick a few pictures for this post. There was so much about this day that I just loved on camera.

If you are reading out there, I wanna know what you think. Show me some love, people.

There are still more cool and funny pictures to come! Don't miss them!

-Kaci

2 comments:

  1. I love your blogs they are so interesting. Your sense of humour and the way you right are outstanding! The pictures are really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete