Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies

I am not exaggerating not one iota when I say this next sentence:

Until about a year and a half ago, I did not know that cookies didn't come from pre-made cookie mixes.

Seriously.

I know... I know... Try and keep your snickers and scoffs at a minimum, please. I'm new at this whole domestication and cooking thing. I shouldn't be "new" ...but I am.

I don't know why I thought that, but when my husband asked for me to make him cookies, I would say, "Well, I would but I have to go to the store and get cookie mix first."

No wonder he looked at me like I had two heads.

Both of Clint's parents are excellent cooks and bakers so having me around in the kitchen was (or maybe still is. I don't know.. ask him. You know, on second thought, don't ask him. I can't handle the truth just yet.) quite the hinderence.

Bells didn't start ringing until I saw The Pioneer Woman's first episode on her Food Network show and she made malted chocolate chip cookies from scratch.

Ding! Ding!! Ding!!! 

You can actually mix flour, sugar, vanilla, eggs, butter with a few other ingredients and make your own cookies!!!!????!!!!

Wow! What a concept!

I wasn't lying when I told you that the kitchen is not my forte. I'm getting better though. Now when Clint asked for a batch of cookies, I can just whip up a batch, no pre-made "cookie mix" needed.

And not to mention cookies made from scratch and with the love of your sweet little hands will make you want to throw rocks at pre-made "cookie mix"...but I wouldn't advise it... it's not very nice... and it might get a little messy.

Now I know that making cookies is probably one of most kindergarten things you can make, but hey... it's a start.. a very delicious, scrumptious, add-pounds-to-your-butt-cheeks start.

Here is my variation of one of my favorite cookie recipes:


Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies

You will need:

- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 1 cup of chopped pecans

Tip: Pecans that you buy at the grocery store are usually higher than a giraffe's booty. So my suggestion is to find a farmer's market or an individual seller and keep a good quantity of pecans on hand. If you like pecans, of course. You get more nuts for your money and you are helping out the little man. Granbury is known for pecans so there are local vendors all over the place. Just check it out.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Another tip: Having Martha around has definitely been one of those things that just makes your life so much easier and it's perfect for making cookies.  Martha is one of my closest BFF's these days. If you don't have a Martha already (or a Frank, or George, or Bruce, or Nelda, or whatever you decide to name your mixer) I suggest you put it on your wish list ASAP. It will change your life.

Preheat your oven to 375 degress.
Step 1: Mix your flour, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set it aside. You will be needing this later.


Step 2: Zap your butter in a microwave safe bowl for about 10 seconds and cut it up in pieces. It mixes easier that way.


Step 3: Add your butter, brown sugar, white sugar , and vanilla to your mixing bowl and mix until creamy.
Just right! Yum! Wait a minute while I go get on the treadmill!

Step 4: Add one egg at a time until well blended.

Step 5: In little batches at a time, mix in your flour mixture. Believe me... mix it in slowly or you will have a flour bomb go off in your kitchen. Don't ask me how I know...


Step 6: While everything is mixing and playing nice, take your cup of pecans and give them a rough chop to desired chunkiness?... consistency?...  just chop 'em like you like 'em



Step 7: Give Martha a rest and stir in your cup of semi -sweet chocolate morsels, milk chocolate morsels and your pecans by hand.

Step 8: I like to smooth my mix out in my bowl, put plastic wrap on it (so it doesn't get that nasty hard skin stuff on top) and pop it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Just to make the dough firm enough to where you can just scoop it out on your cookie sheet.

Step 9: Forget to take pictures of the next steps.

Step 10: Put small balls of cookie dough on your baking sheet 2 inches apart and put it oven for 10-12 minutes.

I hope you enjoy this easy little recipe. What a simple but lovely way to get started in the kitchen.

- Kaci


No comments:

Post a Comment