Saturday, November 5, 2011

Make Your Own: All-Purpose Cleaner

I have had the ingredients to make this for a while now but never fit in the time to get it done. I was cleaning the other day and ran out of cleaner and figured there was no better time than now to pause for a blog break.

I love this all purpose cleaner because it doesn't smell like harsh chemicals and you can make it for a few cents. When I use this, my house smells wonderful. You can customize the smell of yours to your favorite essential oil smells.

Ready????

Cast of Characters:


  • Castile Soap: This is an olive oil based soap so no harsh chemicals. It's organic, pure and natural. It's lovely. I found this at my local health food store. I believe HEB sells this also in their organic isle. I use the Dr. Bronner's brand. It comes in several different scents but I chose Tea Tree Oil because I like the clean smell. I have started keeping a bottle of this around too because I have found all the different things I can make with it. More tutorials on that stuff later.
  • White Vinegar
  • Arm & Hammer Washing Soda- I keep a box of this on hand at all times because I use this in my own washing detergent and dishwasher detergent.
  • Water- I like water from a distilled jug or a water machine. I have a weird thing about not liking tap water, but you can use tap water if you don't have a weird phobia about it.
  • Essential Oils- Personally I like clean smells like eucalyptus, tea tree, lemongrass, lavendar and things of that nature. This is your all-purpose cleaner so you can tailor the smells to your liking. I also bought these essential oils at my local health food store. They usually run about $8 a small bottle but remember they are pure oils and they only take a couple drops to make a big difference so a bottle goes an extremely long way. At a place that sells essential oils, they usually have testers so you can try out which is your favorite smell before you buy. I suggest you do a little research then look for ways to buy it cheaper online or through a catalog that specializes in essential oils.
  • Spray Bottle- I used my empty bottle of cleaner. I just ran it through the dishwasher to make sure it was clean of the chemicals that were in it before. If you go buy a spray bottle, pay attention to the ounces. Most are 16 ounces. If that's the case, just cut all the ingredients in half.  

Ok ready! This is so simple and it smells great.

You will need:
-4 tablespoons of vinegar
-2 teaspoons of Arm & Hammer washing soda
-1/2 cup of Castile soap
-32 ounces of hot water
-5-10 drops of essential oils


Step 1:
I used a tea pitcher to mix all my ingredients in. I put my 4 tablespoons of vinegar in and then put my 2 teaspoons of Arm & Hammer washing soda and mixed them together until the washing soda was dissolved.
Adding the washing soda
In goes the vinegar
It fizzles when both are mixed together

Step 2:
To make my water hot, I ran it through my iced tea maker. Or you can use your coffee pot, boil your water on the stove or if your water from the faucet gets really hot you can use that. Just make sure there are no tea bags or coffee in your makers! That would be bad!

Step 3:
Measure out 32 ounces of your hot water.

Step 4:
Pour in the hot water.

Step 5:
Pour in your 1/2 cup of Castile Soap

Step 6:
Mix in your 5-10 drops of essential oils. Experiment with the mixture. Essential oils are a wonderful thing.

Step 7:
Give everything a good stir.

Step 8:
Pour the ingredients into your spray bottle.
(I must have deleted the picture for this step but I'm sure you know how to pour liquid into a bottle. :) )

So there you have it! Are you ready for your cleaning world to be turned upside down??? Are you excited??? Are you doing a dance? No? Is it just me? Yes? Dang!

Enjoy!
-Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment