Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Make Your Own: Vanilla Extract

I didn't know where to post this. Should I post it under the DIY Gifts? Should I post it in make your own? The reason I was thinking about posting it in the DIY Gifts is because I have a plan to order very cute bottles and put very cute labels on those bottles and give them as gifts. Since this project takes 6-8 weeks to age, I have missed the deadline as giving them as Christmas gifts. I decided to post them under Make Your Own so you can make the decision.

I will update you when I do get those cute bottles and make those cute labels and set them aside for gifts but I really wanted to do this project so I couldn't wait. This is a great gift because it is homemade and who doesn't love a homemade gift? And it is also a great gift because vanilla extract can get expensive. This is perfect to give to your kitchen friendly friends.

You Will Need:

- 1 5"-7" vanilla bean- HEB has vanilla beans but make sure they are moist and flexible because my first try at this, the bean was hard and it was a failure. Vanilla beans can be expensive. I got on eBay and found 25 beans from France for $10.50 and I think that is a very good deal seeing that 1 bean at HEB was $6.

-1 cup of Vodka- I used Monopolowa Vodka because it is of good quality and it's my personal favorite. Another brand of vodka that works well with making your own vanilla extract is Svedka.

- Small air tight jar- I went with an olive oil bottle at Wal-Mart because I am impatient and I really wanted to do this project and didn't want to wait for my cute bottles to ship.

Step 1:
Take your vanilla bean and cut it half

Step 2:
Take each halves and cut them down the middle lengthwise. The good stuff in the middle is called the "caviar". This caviar is what makes the extract.

Step 3:
Put all the vanilla bean pieces in your bottle.

Step 4:
Add 1 cup of vodka

Step 5:
Put your creation up on a window sill for about 6-8 weeks for it to age.

Step 6:
This is a gift that keeps on giving so when your bottle is half full, fill the bottle back up with vodka. You will want to change out your vanilla beans about every 3rd time.


I hope you like this post. I can't wait for mine to age so I can use my handmade vanilla extract in cookies or a cake!

Share the love!
-Kaci

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! My pictures didn't upload! Pictures coming soon!

    ReplyDelete