Monday, November 7, 2011

There Is No "I" In Team

Three things I remember about growing up: music, team roping and sports. Those three things are things that my Dad continues to be VERY passionate about. When I say passionate, I really mean borderline obsessed. It would only make sense that those things would be the things that I'm borderline obsessed with also.

Whatever my Dad did, he strived for perfection. Is strived the right sense of the word? Is it strove? Anyways... After practice in the roping pen, he would rope the dummy until all hours of the night.  We would come home from my sports practices and practice.When he would coach my little league teams and we would talk about the games and whatnot, I remember him always telling me how hard he worked and that "When I was in the 5th grade, I was on the 8th grade basketball team." Another one of my favorites, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." 

We are pretty hard core and competitive. My competitive nature was the reason I was asked not to play on a church softball league once. They said they were just playing for fun. Well, "just playing for fun" doesn't exactly exist in my vocabulary.

We always went to see the Dallas Mavericks and the Texas Rangers play at their stadiums even when they were both very, very bad teams but we would still root for them and yell at the refs and umps like we were playing right along with them. Clint is embarrassed to go to sporting events with me.

In the year of 2011 my heart cannot stand to swell an ounce more with pride for our Dallas Mavericks and Texas Rangers. Both teams have shown us how hard work and dedication pays dividends and they both did it in a very classy way. They have brought back pride to our Texas sports. While the opponents were trash talking, making jokes about players being sick or hurt and telling reporters the design of their future championship ring, our teams kept a tight lip and kept practicing and focusing on the next game.

Even though the Rangers didn't go all the way, they kept fighting until the very last pitch. The Dallas Mavericks reached the ultimate goal that everyone around them said was unattainable. Everyone but them and all their fans, of course.

Dallas Mavericks & Texas Rangers, thank you for keeping this competitive girl's spirit alive! You are true role models of American sports!

Peace, Love & Competitive Sports! Over and Out!
-Kaci

1 comment:

  1. I think my dad was on the 8th grade basketball team in the 5th grade too...weird!! ;)

    ReplyDelete