Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lone Wolf Photography

This past weekend when me and Clint were helping out with the All Around Ranch Rodeo in Glen Rose, I brought along my camera because I knew there would be plenty of opportunities to get some good pictures. A couple of things happened photography wise this weekend.

1. I successfully learned how to shoot in full manual mode!!!!! WAHOO!!! It is so not as hard as it may seem. I wish I could carry around my camera 24/7 to test my manual mode skills. I would look a little funny sitting at a desk in a doctor's office with a camera around my neck snapping pictures though.

2. I did NOT successfully learn how to use my new flash in a low light, action setting... darn it.

3. I got some AMAZING pictures of the broncs when they were let out in to the arena to exercise before the rodeo.

4. And the most important and exciting thing that happened was that I met Gabe and Stephanie from Lone Wolf Photography. They are usually at the ropings and rodeos that we go to taking the event pictures but I haven't been able to meet them yet.

I have followed their work for a couple of years now. Gabe takes some of the most beautiful pictures. He takes the sport that I love so much and captures it from an artistic and very beautiful angle. I aspire to resemble just a smidge of his work. I dig art, beauty, and photography. Hmmm... there's a t-shirt idea for myself.

On Thursday when the stock contractor let the broncs loose in the arena to exercise like I was talking about before, I stopped what I was doing and grabbed my camera. I raced down to the arena and found a corner that I could hide behind a panel so I could take pictures of these beautiful animals without them noticing me.

As I was clicking away, Gabe came over to where I was sitting with his much larger and better camera and his much larger and better lenses and started taking pictures too.

We were both sitting there in awe of the pecking order these horses displayed as our camera were constantly snapping pictures with a mind of their own.

I said to Gabe, "I'm just a beginner, do you have any advise for me?" I braced myself for the rejection because some photographers can be a little protective of their craft.

Then Gabe said, "You know, you just need to take your camera with you everywhere you go, take pictures of everything you see, find your own style and just go with it. Soak up any information you can."

I was in shock that I wasn't completely shut down.

We continued to discuss photography, lenses, photo editing, cameras, angles and everything under the sun about the subject. I found out that we both see photography as an artistic expression and a somewhat spiritual experience. It was great talking to Gabe.

I think highly of him for sharing his advice with me and I will be forever grateful.

If you get a chance, you should check out Lone Wolf Photography , you will not be dissapointed.

Peace, Love & Picture Taking!
-Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment