Thursday, June 21, 2012

Photography Workshop: Intro

It seems likes photography  has become increasing popular lately. 

With all the wonderful technology at our fingertips and the viral popularity of social media, there are photographers popping up everywhere.

I have always had an appreciation and love for photography.

I remember when I was a little girl, I would get those disposable cameras and try to take artistic and different point of view photos.

My subject matter at that time was my ridiculous collection of stuffed animals. Then it progressed to my trophies when I would win at play days or at sports. After that, my animals and any animal I could find found it's way into my viewfinder. I would marvel over the pages of "Sports Illustrated" of my dad's. I remember looking over the pages and thinking "what a beautifully captured photo." When I laid my eyes on the swim suit issue of "Sports Illustrated" is when I started getting interested in model photography. I had to get my hands on everything modeling. I loved looking through the pages of "Elle" , "Vogue" and "Harper's Bazaar" and seeing the high fashion models with their bold looks and eyes that would pierce right through you.

I guess I have always loved a beautiful photo. I get into a very deep and WAY over thought out explanation about artistic photography.... it's kind of disturbing. So I won't bore you about all that.

But what I DO want to bore talk to you about is beginning photography and getting off auto mode.

When I first got my camera, nobody told me what an aperture was, or how fast my shutter speed should be in low light, or when to use my flash, or what all the buttons on my camera meant.

That is the reason why I was scared to death to take my camera off auto mode. I was afraid I would miss out on an awesome picture because I didn't have all my settings right. Going manual is SO fun and it produces exponentially better photos. I promise once you go manual, you will never go back to auto.... Ever. From this point forward, we are going to reference auto mode as our ex-boyfriend... or ex-girlfriend....

In my quest to learn how to operate this wonderful piece of machinery I searched the internet and any photography forums for classes. Nothing.

I tried to ask other people with cameras. Nothing.

I tried reading my camera manual. Boring.

You see, I don't learn by reading. I am a visual learner. I need pictures and I need direction. Once I get what I need, it's all smooth sailing from there, baby.

Since I am learning by good ol' hard work (watching tutorial videos, reading every word of photography information that my brain can soak in, learning the hard way) I want to pave the road for others that are maybe starting out in photography, have an interest in photography or have nothing better to do than read me ramble ramble ramble.....

I'm going to break it on down for my peeps. Because navigating your way through your camera and to a beautiful picture can get a little cray cray, Mama is gonna make it a little easier for you.

I am no camera expert, I'm just trying to help those out that are in the same situation that I was in several months ago. I know the questions that you have about the little stuff because I had the same ones.

I know you've probably heard, "To get this picture, you need to adjust your aperture." or "You're ISO is too high."

Ok? What the hell is an aperture and how do I adjust it??? ISO? ISO, what? ISO awesome? I'll take it.

In this Photography Workshop, I will talk about the anatomy of your camera, basic camera functions, photo composition, photo editing, starting out in Photoshop Elements among many, many, many other subjects.

So all you budding photogs, sit down, buckle up and prepare to take yourself, your brain and your camera on a little tour. You are going to be getting to know eachother VERY well.

Can't wait to share all this good info with you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment