Wednesday, January 11, 2012

26. Learn to make all of my household cleaning items from scratch

I have hit the mother load!!! I have been following Mountain Rose Herbs website for a couple of months now. They are a company that sell all organic products such as herbs, essential oils, aromatherapy oils, bulk organic herbs & spices, teas, and bulk items to make candles, lotions and such. They are also a waste free production company. How cool is that?

In the future I want to make my own candles, lotions, lip balm and so on... Clint is really going to be happy with me. They are on the list of things to do so I can show you how to do them too. This website I have heard is the creme de la creme of suppliers for this sort of thing. Once taking a gander for the first time, I was hooked. This website is amazing! There is so much information to learn about herbs and green living.

Now, as you know, one of the things on my "things" list was to make all of my cleaning products from scratch. So one day I open my email to Mountain Rose Herbs blog post and BAM! This is an excerpt from the blog:

"Have you made a New Year’s resolution yet? Well, we’ve got a really good one for you! This year, resolve to make your home sparkling clean - with the power of herbs!"

Are they reading my mind? Should I be worried about this? Do I need to make myself a foil helmet so they can't read my thoughts? I will pull the reins back just a tad and just tell myself that it is a coincidence.

Anyways, I'm sure they won't mind that I share their recipes for the cleaning products with you. I encourage you to go to their website and subscribe to their blog because there is a wealth of good information coming from this great company!

Super Surface Spray• 16 oz. spray bottle
• 14 oz. – 1:1 solution of distilled white vinegar and water
• 7 drops of tea tree essential oil• 7 drops of lavender essential oil• 7 drops of lemon essential oil
Use this aromatic and disinfecting solution for cleaning kitchen counters, cabinets, refrigerator shelves, blinds, painted wood surfaces, painted walls, molding, fan blades, and more.

Herby Soft Scrub
• 12 oz glass jar with lid
• 1/2 cup baking soda
• 1/2 cup castille soap
• 15 drops of antimicrobial essential oils like rosemary and sage
Mix well until you have a nice consistency like cake frosting. If you have leftovers, add 1 tsp vegetable glycerin to keep the blend nice and moist.

Antibacterial Soap Spray
• 16 oz spray bottle
• 14 oz. water or rosemary hydrosol
• 3 tbsp castille soap• 15 drops of tea tree essential oil• 15 drops of oregano essential oil
Use this cleaning spray to disinfect your bathroom surfaces. You can use the Super Surface Spray to rinse away any residue left behind by the castille soap.

Refreshing Linen Spray
• 16 oz. spray bottle
• 3 oz. unflavored vodka
• 12 drops lavender, ylang ylang, peppermint, orange or your favorite smelling essential oil
• 12 oz. organic hydrosol of your choice
Spray to refresh your mattress, pillows, bed linens, couches, and fabric covered chairs, or spritz clean winter blankets before storing for the year. Also makes a wonderful ironing spray!

Natural Lemon Furniture Polish
• 16 oz spray bottle
• 1 cup olive oil
• 25 drops pure lemon essential oil
• 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
• fill remainder of the bottle with purified water
Shake well before each use. Spray onto your rag or directly onto furniture. Buff dry immediately.

Tropical Carpet Deodorizer
• 1 cup of baking soda
• 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil  per cup
• 10 drops of sweet orange essential oil per cup
• 10 drops of ginger essential oil  per cup
Mix together and sprinkle the aromatic blend onto your carpet, let sit for 30 minutes, and vacuum as normal. Wonderful mattress deodorizer, too!

Lemony Wood Floor Mop Formula
• 20 oz. spray bottle
• 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
• 1 tsp. vegetable glycerin
• 20 drops lemon essential oil
• Water
Spray, mop as usual, and quickly buff dry to protect your floors. They will be glossy and clean with a lovely lemon scent!

Mop-It-Up Formula
• small glass bottle
• 1/4 cup castille soap• 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
• 20 drops of tea tree essential oil• 20 drops of sweet orange essential oil
This is the perfect liquid cleaner for tile floors, vinyl, or linoleum.  Mix the solution with 2 gallons of hot water and mop away the dirt and grime.


Thank you Mountain Rose Herbs for this wonderful information!

Hope you enjoy all the goodies!
Love,
Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment