Monday, January 30, 2012

Make Your Own: Dishwasher Detergent

One of my first blog posts was on how to make your own dishwasher detergent. I am super happy to announce that I just ran out of that batch of dishwasher detergent this week!! :)

That is almost 6 whole months of dishwasher detergent from a little batch that costs me around $5. Before I could make another batch today, I had to use some Cascade that I had left in the cabinet and I will tell ya, it didn't work as well as my handmade concoction did. That makes me doubly super happy! :))

Have any of you out there tried the detergent?

Here is the recipe again just in case you missed it.

You Will Need:

-2 cups of Borax
-2 cups of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
-1 can of Lemi Shine
-1 cup of Kosher Salt
-20 drops of essential oils (I didn't do this last time but for my second batch, I added 20 drops of Lemongrass essential oil into the mix and the smell is wonderful. This step is optional, though.)

All you do is mix all of your ingredients in a large bowl and then pour into an air tight container.

Remember you will only need 1, yes just 1, tablespoon for each load of dishes. If you have a set of really nasty dishes, you can add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar into the dishwasher for a pre rinse.

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed saving money, having sparkling clean dishes for 6 months, and the clout that I made something myself that is totally awesome!! Those three things make my triply (if that's not a word, it is now) happy!!! :)))

Enjoy!
Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment