Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blog Share: Country Woman Magazine & Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

The other day we went to Cabela's to get Clint lots of ammo for the hunting trip that he went on this past weekend. (Pictures to follow soon. They are pretty amazing!) I like Cabela's because there is a sloo of things for Blaze and I to gander at while Clint is checking out the latest and greatest hunting equipment.

I haven't shared Clint's enthusiasm for wild game hunting yet for a couple of reasons. 

1. Anything that requires me to sit still and be quiet for longer than 10 minutes is not for me... unless I'm napping. Napping is so for me.

2. I would very much rather be sleeping at 4 o'clock in the morning when they get up to go hunt.

3. I like to shoot clay targets and bird hunting is fine but watching a large animal forced to meet his maker makes me sad. Yes I do understand hunting is necessary for the enviroment and yes I do understand population management is necessary too, but it still makes me sad. Unless they are wild hogs, those things are mean and taking over everywhere. I wouldn't mind shooting one of those. And maybe coyotes too because they kill stock and they get all mangy and get diseases and get mistaken for Chupacabras. (My Granbury people will undersand that one.) And probably bob cats too, they wouldn't bother me so much because they eat baby calves for a snack and then that makes me sad, so I would rather see a dead bob cat than a dead baby calf. But deer and such makes me sad. I think it's more of the stumble to their death that makes me sad.

4. I hate being cold and hunting season is in the dead of winter.

5. It's really hard to take a nap in a tree stand.

Now maybe I will come around to deer hunting one of these days but those are my excuses so far and I'm sticking to them.

Wow I veered so off track that I'm surprised my train is still chugging along... At Cabela's. Checking things out. Go...

That's when I stumble upon this magazine rack will all of these specialized publications. I had no idea there were so many different magazines out there. They have deer hunting magazines, rifle hunting magazine, bow hunting magazines, safari hunting magazines, fishing magazines, hunting dog magazines, water fowl magazines, country living magazines, organic living magazines, survival magazines, camping magazines... there were TONS of magazines!

What kind of people are out there that subscribe to these magazines that keep these publications in circulation?? Oh yeah, people like my husband.

I stood there in utter awe of the rack of different magazines. I saw one that caught my eye, "Country Woman Magazine". It had a lady with long brown hair holding a box of plants. So I flipped through a few pages to find the lady's article since I am interested in growing my own garden. It is her and her husband's business, Jere and Emilee Gettle. It was showcasing her their business from Mansfield, Missouri and they sell heirloom seeds. No, heirlooms are not just antiques desks and vanities passed down from generations but same concept. Heirloom seeds are seeds of fruits, vegetables, flowers, plants, and herbs passed down through the generations. You should see all the glorious harvests.

They have a "pioneer town" on their property and along with the Baker Creek Seed Shop, they have an operating barn, restaurant, old-time mercantile, herbal apothecary, natural bakery, garden museum, blacksmith shop, two music barns, a western jail, a native rock oven, windmill and many breeds of historic poultry and livestock. To top it all off, there is no admission fee to visit. The Seed Shop is there business but the rest is the family's labor of love.

It is only 90 miles from Branson, and since Clint and I are planning a trip to Branson in the spring, you KNOW I will be making a pit stop at this place! I cannot wait!

So this blog share is for 2 things: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds where you can explore a very interesting site and follow and then Country Woman Magazine because this magazine is great. There are so many good articles about gardening, cooking, baking, crafting, farming... the list goes on.

I hope you check them out because I have sure enjoyed both of them.

Peace out,
Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment